In January there are plenty of jobs that need to be done in the garden to give you a great head start for the coming year. Take a look at January’s Garden Advice;
1. Recycle your Christmas tree by shredding it for mulch.
2. Dig over any vacant plots that have not been dug already. Turning the soil will expose pests to hungry birds, helping you keep your pest population under control.
3. Protect any tender plants with fleece or take them into the greenhouse.
4. Prune Apple and Pear trees while they are dormant, between leaf fall and bud burst, and apply Winter tree wash and pheromone moth traps. Now is a great time to do this.
5. Use this time to carry out any repair work in your garden. Fix fences, garden gates and furniture now, ready for the Spring
6. Plan, plan, plan! Whilst you’ve got some time spare, take a minute to plan your garden for Spring time planting. Bow Garden Centre have a large selection of seeds in store to choose from, so you can start planning now!
7. Get your propagation needs now - such as seed compost, plant pots and trays. Be prepared so that you are ready to get ahead for the season.
8. If you have planted potatoes in planters take them into the greenhouse to avoid them getting frost damage.
9. Continue to provide food and water for birds. It’s particularly hard for them this time of year with the cold weather conditions and reduction in the number of food sources accessible to them.